Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Jessie's Blog: MLK & EKS

I was really inspired by Martin Luther King, Jr's speech "I Have a Dream"
and the March on Washington in 1963, 50 years ago. I am impressed by what
has changed in race relations since then, yet I'm saddened by what has not
yet changed.

Another great thing that occurred one year before King's inspiring speech
was the inception of the Special Olympics in Eunice Kennedy Shriver's
backyard. "Camp Shriver" was first hosted there in the summer of 1962.
Eunice had a sister with an intellectual disability and in the late 1950's
and early 60's, she saw little justice in the way people with I.D. were
treated. As an athlete in college, she saw that sports could be a common
ground to unite folks from all walks of life. The idea behind that first
Camp Shriver began to grow, and in July 1968, the first International
Special Olympics Games were held in Chicago, Illinois.

As Special Olympics has developed over the years, there has been more
diversity amongst the athletes, and Special Olympics continues to embrace
these differences that define our athletes. Remember, we are defined by our
ABILITIES, not our disabilities. As Special Olympics continues to grow, and
Eunice's original vision of uniting people from all walks of life is
continually celebrated, we have seen an increase of folks with Developmental
Disabilities among our athletes. There has been a large increase in athletes
who are on the Autism Spectrum, and I am pleased that Special Olympics
includes me, as I'm on the Spectrum. One of my goals as Athlete
Representative is to increase awareness of the fact that Special Olympics is
a great opportunity for people with Developmental Disabilities also.

I encourage you to join me in celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr's and
Eunice Kennedy Shriver's visions of acceptance and inclusivity, and
celebrate YOU and your fellow athletes incredibly diverse talents and
abilities.


Your Lebanon County Athlete Representative, Jessie Salness

No comments:

Post a Comment