Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Jessie's Blog: My Personal Thoughts on the R-Word Campaign


My Personal Thoughts on the R-Word Campaign 


I have been thinking about Spread the Word to End the Word since I had recently written the blog encouraging folks to support this effort.  I think it is a great campaign, as the R-word is very hurtful and unkind.  I think the words we choose to use reflect the way we see people.  I also think that when we define who we are only in terms of intelligence, we lose our humanity.  There is so much more to being a good person that is not measured by IQ.

I feel that the R-word, like all language that is used to put people down, says more about the person saying it than who it is directed at. We, like many other groups, often experience unfair and unkind words and actions.  It doesn't matter what group you belong to, there will always be people who are ignorant or cruel.  In the case of ignorance, we can teach by explaining how the words or actions are not appropriate.  Oftentimes, the best way to teach is by doing your best and exceeding others' expectations.  In the case of deliberate cruelty, the best thing to do is to not interact with that person.  It also helps to understand that unfortunately people often are mean when they are hurt or angry about something else that has nothing to do with you.


To be honest, I have experienced both ignorance and cruelty, painful as it is, as I am sure many of you have too.  We can not control how others respond, but we can pledge to not use the R-word and lead by example.  As athletes, volunteers, and supporters of Special Olympics, we are leading by example that hopefully in the future, there will no longer even be a need to have the campaign Spread the Word To End the Word.  In the meantime, please pledge your support to Spread the Word to End the Word!

Respectfully yours,
Jessie Salness Lebanon County Special Olympics Athlete Representative


No comments:

Post a Comment