Thursday, June 26, 2014

Jessie's Blog: A successful and meaningful life

Hi Everyone:

 I have been thinking about what it means to have a meaningful and successful life. I have heard many athletes, including myself, say "if only I had a boyfriend/girlfriend, job, car, children (or fill in the blank), I would have a meaningful and successful life."  It's easy to think that when looking at your family, friends, and others to see what they have, and think they have a happy, easy life when their differences may be less obvious to a casual observer.  I have three sisters who are married with children, and it's easy for me to become envious of what they have. It's hard for me to realize that they also have to work for what they have and that it's not handed to them. They also struggle to find their own sense of purpose and success in their lives.

 I have to work harder in some areas than other people have to, and I have a different way of defining meaning and success for myself. Part of what makes my life meaningful is being part of Special Olympics both as an athlete and a volunteer. We athletes have to work harder and find new paths and overcome different obstacles than other people. The athletes of SO are diverse in terms of their challenges and abilities, and we must define our own meanings of success. Special Olympics helps add meaning and success to our lives by allowing us to go beyond what we thought we were capable of doing. Thank you Special Olympics for being part of all of our lives.

 Sincerely,

 Jessie Salness
> Lebanon County Special Olympics Athlete Representative

No comments:

Post a Comment